AIM for Seva Projects
Women's Self Help Group - Anaikatti, Coimbatore
Back to Projects
Project Details & Achievements
- Various programmes are being conducted for tribal women under the auspices of Mahalir Thittam.
- Women involved take home an average income of Rs.200/- per day.
- These projects have been successfully implemented in five panchayats in Coimbatore.
- One such programme is the milk peda scheme that has been successfully conducted by AIM for Seva at Anaikatti, under the Mahalir Thittam. Through this initiative, over 200 women have gained employment by starting a unit for making ‘peda’ (sweet made from milk). Every step of the project, from rearing cows, to milking them, supplying the milk, the peda production process, packaging and the final marketing, is handled by the women from the self help groups.
- This project is aided by Tamil Nadu Women Development Corporation and Supported by the Milk Peda Producers Federation. Marketing support comes from Aavin Society, Coimbatore, a unit of Dairy Development Department, Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Another area where women have been provided employment is brick production. Six SHGs have entered the business of brick manufacture and are actively involved in the running of the wet brick preparation process unit.