With the blessings of our founder, Pujya Swami Dayananda Saraswati, the Swami Dayananda Matric Higher Secondary School (SDMHSS) has completed 11 years of its commitment towards academic achievements as well as contribution to the society at large. In keeping with our value system, SDMHSS encourages and helps to inspire and challenge young minds to develop into caring and committed members of our society, so as to achieve excellence in their chosen path, assume responsibilities and pursue a journey of lifelong learning. We strive for excellence in everything we do. We provide a learning environment that allows every student to thrive as an individual. We place high priority on recognising and rewarding accomplishments as well.
We have a student roll of 915 (481 boys and 434 girls). We have a dedicated band of 40 teachers and 62 non-teaching staff.
During this academic year, we followed a new strategy to strengthen the academic ability of our students. Our strategy included monthly tests, wherein we set question papers based on skill, effective classroom activities and remedial classes for students who need help with learning. A debriefing session was conducted from September 3 to 6, 2018 for classes X, XI and XII. This session helped to motivate the students to reach their goals in a systematic manner. The second batch of students appeared for the class XII board exam and 53 students appeared for the class X board exam.
We got 100% result in class XII board exam – one of our students secured a full 100 in accountancy.
To bring out the leadership quality of the students, we conducted an election to help select the members for the student council. This was the first time we had held such an election. The process started in the month of July and the procedure was as follows: calling for nomination, nomination speech, announcement of short listed candidate, student campaign and Election Day. The selected students’ representatives received their set of responsibilities during the investiture ceremony.
The school celebrated iconic leader and former chief minister of Tamil Nadu, K. Kamaraj’s birthday on July 17, 2018. An assembly was organised and some of our students spoke about Kamaraj’s life and contributions to society. We also had students of classes 1 and 2 dress up like Kamaraj for the event.
Students from classes LKG to X1 eagerly participated in various competitions, including art and colouring, fancy dress, storytelling, essay writing (English and Tamil), speech competition (English and Tamil), notice making and slogan writing.
Guru Poornima was celebrated in a grand manner in the school campus on July 27 2018. Some of our staff members delivered speeches on the ‘Importance of a Guru’. The School Principal, Smt. Padma Raghunathan, gave a spiritually inspired speech. At the end of the programme, students, teachers and non-teaching staff offered floral tributes to the founder of our movement, Pujya Swami Dayananda Saraswati. Pujya Swamiji’s statue was inaugurated in the Memorial Hall. Students from classes 3 to XII went to the Hall and offered flowers.
Independence Day was celebrated with great enthusiasm on August 15, 2018. Our Chief Guest, Mr. M.G. Srinivasan, School Correspondent was escorted by the school band. He hoisted the flag and our Principal addressed the gathering. Our students performed a march past, mass drill and did a Yoga performance too.
The Swami Dayananda Matric Higher Secondary School celebrated Onam on August 26, 2018. To bring out the element of unity in our students, group wise aththapoo competitions were conducted from classes 1 to XII. Our Principal visited all the classes and appreciated the students’ efforts. The school took on a festive look thanks to the beautiful pookalams, and women staff who were dressed in traditional Kerala sarees.
Founder’s Day was celebrated on August 18, 2018. Various individual and group competitions were conducted for classes 3 to XII.
A science exhibition, titled ‘Koushalam’ was inaugurated by our Chairperson and Managing Trustee, Smt. Sheela Balaji. The SDET family, parents and students from the nearby school visited and appreciated the efforts of the students and teachers.
Children’s Day was celebrated on November 14, 2018. Students celebrated the day with various fun games. Competitions on the occasion of Republic Day were organised on January 25, and celebrations for Republic Day were held on January 26, 2019.
We celebrated Sports Day on February 9, 2019. The Inspector of Police for Kodavasal Zonal hoisted the flag and declared the Sports Meet open. School Correspondent Sri. M.G. Srinivasan witnessed the programme.
- Sakthi Sri of class 9 and Dharshini of class 8 competed in a district-level seminar on July 24, 2018 at Government Higher Secondary School, Pulivalam.
- Fifteen students from our school competed in Tirukkural Vizha on August 4, 2018 at Velludaiyar Higher Secondary School, Tiruvarur.
- Ten of our students competed in the second south Inter-district Yoga Sports championship on August 5, 2018, at Kasturiba Gandhi Matriculation School, Tiruvarur.
- Forty-seven students from our school competed in Tamil Ilakkiya Thiruvizha on January 25, 2019, at Arasu Engineering College, Kumbakonam.
- Eight students from our school competed in The Hindu Young World Quiz Competition held at Trichy on February 20, 2019.
- Our students participated in the ‘Brain O Brain Handwriting Competition’ on March 8, 2019, at Trichy.
SPORTS AND YOGA:
- Five of our students participated in the shuttlecock inter-school zonal sports and games meet of Kodavasal, which was held at Koradacheri on August 6, 2018.
- It is a matter of pride that students of the Swami Dayananda Matric Higher Secondary School have not only participated in the zonal meet (in which 14 other schools also participated), four out of our five students have brought back accolades for our school and themselves:
- R. Shruthi (VI C): Under 14 (Girls) – Singles Winner
- M. Madhan (X A): Under 17 (Boys) – Singles Runner-up
- R. Praveen (IX B) and M. Keerthivasan (IX B): Under 17 (Boys) – Doubles Runner-up
- Our school students participated in the Zonal Sports and Games meet of Kodavasal, held at Ohai on August 24, 2018, in which 12 other schools also participated. Three of our students brought accolades for our school and themselves:
- S.Suriya (XII A): Under 17 (Boys) – First in javelin and shot put
- S.Subhash (XII B): Under 17 (Boys) – Second in 100 metre running
- Pynshailongkharlait (VIII B): Under 14 (Boys) – Second in shot put
- Seven of our students participated in Tamil Nadu State Level Yoga Championship 2018, organised by Keerthapushpam Yoga Academy, held in Tiruvarur on December 21, 2018. Four out of the seven students who participated brought accolades to our school and themselves:
- Rabirung Reang (IV): Age group 8 to 12 years – First Place
- Navaskthi M (IV): Age group 8 to 12 years – Second Place
- Henali Chorky (V): Age group 8 to 12 years – Third Place
- Lalchulovi Reang (VI): Age group 12 to 14 years – First Place
To further enhance the talent of every student special provision is made in the form of activities such as variety of cultural, sporting, and service activities. JRC, scouts and guides to develop leadership qualities among our students. In addition to that music, dance, games, Yoga
and Karate classes provide a platform for every student to exhibit their skills. Our students have also received belts in various grades in Karate, and won many shields and medals in Yoga competitions.
Vocalist Smt. Bombay Jayashri Ramnath and her disciples taught music to our students, and dance master Ms. Sharmila Biswas and her disciples from Bangalore taught our students Odissi dance.
Parent–Teacher Meetings (PTM) were conducted on a regular basis for all classes. During the meetings, we discussed about the children’s discipline, academic improvements and support, and the importance of parental monitoring at home.
We conducted PTM for classes X, XI and XII in January 2019, for which we received a positive response from the parents.
Farewell Party for grade XII was celebrated on March 29, 2019 which was organised by grade XI students. Students of grade XII received mementos from the management.
KINDERGARTEN AND PRIMARY SCHOOL UPDATES
The Swami Dayananda Matric Higher Secondary School celebrated many programmes for the Kindergarten (KG) classes. Our KG classes reopened on June 13, 2018, and we gave a warm welcome to our parents and students by decorating the classrooms.
- ‘Red Day’ was celebrated in the school campus on July 6, 2018. We conducted many activities, such as rhymes, speaking about red things and so on. So, our students came to know about things that are red in colour.
- The Swami Dayananda Matric Higher Secondary School celebrated Education Development Day on July 16, 2018. On this occasion, a colouring competition was organised and winners were given certificates.
- Guru Poonima was celebrated in the Kintergarten campus on July 27, 2018. The teachers gave a talk about Swamiji and our students offered the flowers to Swamiji’s picture.
- Independence Day was celebrated on August 15, 2018. The KG kids participated in the competitions and received certificates.
- Grandparents Day was celebrated on August 24, 2018, and we invited our KG students’ grandparents for the day. Planting saplings, drawing and hand-printing activities were planned. The grandparents enjoyed the day with their grandchildren.
- Our Blue Day fell on October 31, 2018. All our classrooms were decorated with blue coloured things and charts, so that our students would learn about things in blue colour.
- Children’s day was held on November 14, 2018. Our kids participated in rhymes recitation, fancy dress, story-telling competitions. All the participants received certificates.
- Republic Day celebrations were held on January 25, 2019. We got out students to do a collage and distributed prizes.
- The KG section’s Project Day, titled ‘Anupam’ was held on February 8, 2019. Each class took a topic, such as animals, shapes, life cycle of a butterfly, and parts of a plant. Each child told spoke about his or her topic to the class. Our students’ parents visited and encouraged them.
- Sports Day was celebrated on February 9, 2019. Our students participated in it and received prizes.
- ‘Parinam – A Learning Festival’ was held on March 16, 2019. Our KG students made presentations on stage, in front of their parents. Their parents felt very proud!
CLASSSES 1 and 2
The classes reopened on June 4, 2018.
- Educational Development Day was celebrated on July 16, 2018. On this occasion, writing and colouring competitions were organised and certificates were distributed to the winners.
- A multiplication tables competition was held on July 20, 2018. Winners took home certificates.
- We celebrated Independence Day on August 14, 2018. Our students participated in colouring and fancy dress competitions. Prizes were distributed to the winners.
- Onam was celebrated on August 28, 2018. A colouring competition was held for the students and certificates were distributed to the winners.
- We celebrated Children’s Day on November 14, 2018. All our students participated in fancy dress and biscuit biting competitions and certificates were distributed to the winners.
- Republic Day celebrations were held on 25th January 2019. As part of the Republic Day celebrations, fancy dress competitions, colouring and Tirukkural recitation competitions were conducted and certificates were distributed to the winners.
- We celebrated Project Day, titled ‘Anupam’ on February 8, 2019. Every section of class 1 and 2 picked a topic, such as ‘Different Kinds of Clothes, Food, Transport, Flowers, and Trees’ and ‘Our Nation’ and made presentations on them.
- Sports Day was celebrated on the school campus on February 9, 2019. Our students participated in several competitions and won prizes.
- We celebrated our Learning Festival, titled ‘Parinam’ on March 16, 2019, in a grand manner. All the students participated in this programme. Each and every event was hosted by the students. The students’ parents enjoyed the event and felt proud of their children. It was a massive success!